July 1, 2015

Work in Process: Valentine Birds

I was commissioned to make a couple of valentine's day card for the coming up Chinese Valentine's Day, which is celebrated on the lunar July 7 mostly in China, Taiwan and Japan. 

There were 2 birds in my mind but I didn't know what they were going to do. I doodled it out anyway. If you see that bean-shaped prototype on the right, you know I'm no close to be called talented... 

The 2 birds on the bottom left caught my eye, and I thought, yay, here we go! 

台灣一間長期合作的書店請我設計七夕情人節卡片
我想畫兩隻小鳥,可是不知道要畫什麼
所以就先在紙上亂畫




But we didn't go anywhere better. 
(It's so upsetting that I can hardly outdo my own sketch!!)
I painted it out but the picture didn't look very exciting to me.

然後用左下角的兩隻小鳥繼續畫下去
可是畫完我覺得好像還少了什麼




Frustrated as I was, I looked around my desk and tried to find something fun to do the image over again. I saw some color pencils and thought, how about applying the color pencil on top of the painting to add some texture... (glad I didn't!) 

And that's when I took the picture below. (Eee! A green flower!)

後來想用彩色鉛筆加點東西上去(還好沒有!)
就開始削鉛筆
發現削下來的鉛筆花好可愛!




Then I totally forgot the painting and the poor birds. 
I played around with the colorful fragments and made 2 new birds. 

Check out the cute little eyebrow of the bird on the right.
It was an accident that the little piece fell right there, but it looked SO right!
Serendipity!

所以我開始玩這些很多顏色的鉛筆小花
拼成兩隻小鳥

一個碎片不小心掉在右邊小鳥臉上
剛剛好變成他的眉毛!




So, yay I drew the bird a permanent brow!

I glued them onto the paper once I found them interestingly satisfying. 
I scanned it and cleaned it up in Photoshop. 

實在太可愛了,所以我畫給他一樣的眉毛
接下來我把這些都黏在紙上、掃描、在Photoshop裡面把圖整理乾淨




Ta-da! Now the little couple are ready to go.
See you out there!

Ta-da! 然後就完成了!






P.S. I really enjoyed designing/making greetings cards. Every work is a whole new project for me and they all reminded me of the good times sending and receiving cards to/from the ones I care and love (and miss!)

It's all about love, isn't it.


Best wishes to all, xxx

Casey



More work/random updates http://facebook.com/caseysushi
Portfolio http://cargocollective.com/caseysushi

No comments:

Post a Comment